HOWTO Create a SDCC Branch
There are two different ways to make a branch (see Branching and Merging):
- remote copying to the URL
- local copying to the snapshot
Remote copying is simpler but suitable only when branching the complete tree, for example branching trunk to branches/<branch_name>:
svn copy https://sdcc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/sdcc/trunk https://sdcc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/sdcc/branches/<branch_name> -m "Creating branch <branch_name>."
In this case branches/<branch_name> will include everything that is in trunk: directories sdcc, sdcc-build, sdcc-cf, sdcc-extra, sdcc-web, ...
Usually we want to create branch of just the sdcc directory: branches/<branch_name>/sdcc. This can be accomplished by copying to the local snapshot:
- create branches directory under the same parent as sdcc and cd into it:
mkdir branches cd branches
- start the branches checkout:
svn checkout https://sdcc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/sdcc/branches .
- abort the checkout after some files are checkouted by pressing ^C
- create the <branch_name> directory and add it to the source control:
mkdir <branch_name> svn add <branch_name>
- svn copy the sdcc directory to branches/<branch_name>/sdcc
svn copy ../sdcc <branch_name>/sdcc
- commit the branch:
svn commit <branch_name>
- voila, the branch is created!